Peace of Prayer
There is really nothing like immersing yourself in prayer. Even though I have practiced - or attempted to practice - other religions, I have never felt such bliss as I do when I am lost in 'dua' or prayer as a Muslim. We are allowed to make 'dua' any time, but I usually make my personal prayers after the completion of the 'fard' (obligatory prayer) and 'sunnah' (extra-obligatory prayer). The power of prayer is especially meaningful when I am in a quiet place like the masjid or an airport chapel or even in the prayer room here in the student center.
There is of course something to be said about all prayer being made in the above locations because they are all quiet, which is important so as to avoid distractions. But, as Faisal was telling me as do others, Muslims should always be thinking about Allah (subbana ho wa t'ala) and praising His name. In one of his CDs, Sheikh Hussain talks about the absurd concept we have of "killing time." This is a good point. I mean, how many times have we just done something to waste time till we were supposed to do something else. I used to do it all the time - like watching t.v. for a few minutes while waiting for a friend to pick me up. But, Sheik Hussain makes a good point that we don't have any time to waste and that every moment we should be thinking about the creations and good things that Allah (subbana ho wa t'ala) has brought into our lives. This is something I have really been trying to do, especially when I go on road trips.
The idea of 'not killing time' surely makes sense, but... when thinking about someone else - in this case Allah - all the time ... how does one find time for him/her self? How are you discovering yourself in the process?
ReplyDeleteThe point is that "I" doesn't really matter. In fact, it is a Muslim's goal to eliminate "I" completely. Everything is to be focused on Allah(swt). Whatever we do .. even those things that are seemingly for ourselves .. should be in fact for the sake of Allah (swt). From consuming food, to fulfilling the rights of our spouses, every deed and thought deserves to be for the sake of Allah (swt), and Allah (swt) alone. Human beings were created for the worship and obedience of Allah (swt). Our true status is that of a slave of the greatest Master of all, Allah (swt). In reality, this is the thing that human beings should try and understand about themselves - that we are creations of Allah (swt) and our purpose in life is to recognize him thru inner and outer acts of obedience, and attain His pleasure. If one has a deep understanding of this and makes this his/her goal, then one has truly understood himself in the correct manner.
ReplyDeleteIt all comes down to the purpose of our creation. If one believes that the purpose of their creation is to worship Allah (swt) in the way shown by His beloved slave and Messenger, Muhammad (saw), then all that is left is for one to focus 100% of their attention and faculties towards attaining the pleasure of Allah (swt).
Alhamdulillah, Glory be to Allah, Shaam has already recognized his true status and role in this world. All that is left to be done is to act like he was created to serve Allah (swt). Little does a disbeliever know of the pleasure in serving the Creator and Master of Allah the worlds. The spiritual masters of our tradition would say that if the kings and emperors would know of the pleasure they experience in worshiping Allah (swt), they would take their armies to conquer their prayer mats.
One would ask how to go about obtaining the pleasure of Allah (swt), when He is so grand and beyond the understanding of the creation. Allah (swt) in His infinite mercy sent Messengers from time to time, in order to show people how to gain the pleasure of Allah (swt), and ultimately a favorably status in the hereafter. This is why one will see serious Muslims constantly trying to emulate the Prophet Muhammad (saw) in every single aspect of their lives, as He was the person who pleased Allah in the most perfect way, and recognized his own position relative to Allah (swt). Allah (swt) in His own words says that we have a beautiful example in the person of Muhammad (saw) the Messenger of Allah.