Friday, September 01, 2006

Depression and Fear

I just had a letter published in the Purdue Exponent in reference to the efforts of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to update their suicide prevention policies:

http://www.purdueexponent.org/?module=article&story_id=1696

My friends who have known me for awhile know of course some of the bad experiences I've had, which would explain a lot of the depression. But, I'm sure many reading this never knew that I was suicidal for awhile. It was really in the month or two after Kristine died in March '01. I just had never experienced anyone personally killing themselves and it struck me to the core. I remember putting a lot of my IFC buddies through a lot of grief cuz I would go to the bars with pix of Kristine and get unbelievably loaded and tear up. It was a bad time. That was about the lowest I have ever been. I came close to actually killing myself only once and had decided on a method (pill overdose), a place (room at the house), time (Friday evening), etc. But, I just couldn't do it when push came to shove. Thank you God!

Then, when Blair died in Nov. 2001, I felt myself going to pieces again. That was a weird time, Nov. '01 to May '02 - I felt like I didn't really belong at Purdue anymore and was just there taking classes. I did have one great English class in the spring of 2002 to finish my Eng. Lit minor ("American Regionalism" with Kip Robisch), but otherwise I was just so exhausted from having such an emotional attachment to Purdue that I had to get away. So, I went to India for the summer and then moved to Augusta, Ga. with my Dad and the rest is history.

Anyway, the point of this primer was to really get to the notion of what it was for me to depressed and just constantly fearful for a good four years until I took 'shahadah' and became a Muslim. In the last few years, I have gone through episodes of severe mood swings; suicidal tendencies brought on by having just one or two drinks [my brain has become permanently wired to associate suicide with alcohol - a description in the next post, perhaps?]; nightmares; seeing things that aren't really there. And, I know that it's extremely fashionable to say that religion and/or faith cures depression, but this time it has been a true!!

My life has changed in a multitude of ways after becoming a Muslim and putting my faith and daily praise in the name of Allah (subbana ho wa t'ala) and His messenger (sallallu alayhi wa sallam). But, one of the biggest has been that I am really no longer afraid of simply living or not afraid of my brain creating sounds or images or associations that aren't there. Because I have decided - and no one else for me - that I believe in the message of Allah (subbana ho wa t'ala) and I believe that he will protect me. It's an amazing feeling to know you are taken care of and is actually, hard to even put into words.
---------------------------------
I recently attended a talk by a scholar at the masjid who talked about FEAR and how we have become so shameless in modern times about our actions i.e. Our actions as Muslims are not representative of the fear we should have of failing Allah (subbana ho wa t'ala). And it is true - we try to hide Allah (SWT) from our hearts, which is impossible because Allah (SWT) can see all and is always with us [I don't know if this is 'shirk' but I am reminded of that story of Jesus (peace be upon him) and the footsteps in the sand.]

I bring this up because now that I no longer feel depressed and suicidal, the only fear I have is of failing Allah (SWT) because I forget to do prayers or I accidentially eat non-halal chicken or I look at a woman in an inappropriate way. I am constantly asking for forgiveness from Allah - which all Muslims should do anyway - but yet I am so shameless. I know what I am doing is wrong so many times and I continue to do them. And then I ask for forgiveness, even though I know what I was doing was wrong while I was doing it. I just hope that Allah (SWT) will pardon my indiscretions one day - wipe the board of my misdeeds - because he sees that I have struggled in his service, but that the good overcame the bad. In'shallah ....

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:35 AM

    Well, this was certainly a good read. I must say that after knowing you for some time, it really makes me happy to hear this level of peace in your writing, and know that you have it in your life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:14 PM

    This is not surprising at all. Allah (swt) guarantees in his eternal, unadulterated book:

    "Allah enlargeth livelihood for whom He will, and straiteneth (it for whom He will); and they rejoice in the life of the world, whereas the life of the world is but brief comfort as compared with the Hereafter." (13:26)
    "Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction. " (13:28)

    It is only natural for one who has recognized his purpose in life, and the fact that this life is merely a test which determines our position in the next (eternal) life, to feel relieved. Any difficulties, calamities, tests, and trials are only temporary and occur by the will of Allah (swt) to see how His slaves react to situations. The believer knows that it is only a matter of a few moments before we will be standing in front of Allah (swt) with our book of deeds, being questioned about dealings with our fellow man, our acts of worship, etc ... and instead of constantly worrying about the passing things in this life ... only worries about how to please Allah (swt) so that he may have the opportunity of meeting his/her Lord in the hereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So there is no guarantee of salvation in Islam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:42 PM

    Shaam I am truly glad if you are at peace now. But might I make a simple observation? You said you felt depressed/suicidal before converting. You said your brain was especially wired to associate alcohol use with such feelings. After converting you feel you are truly at peace. Might this be because Islam forbids alcohol consumption? No alcohol = your brain not having the depression and suicidal feelings you used to have *primarily* while drinking. You are not altering your mind with booze, and living healthier in general. The combination was bound to make you feel better by the sheer lifestyle change. Is your new found peace really due to religion or just living healthier? Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:39 PM

    >Mattress said...
    >
    > So there is no guarantee of
    > salvation in Islam?

    Not in the way that the Christians believe. Muslims, by virtue of their faith in Allah (swt), will go to heaven. The thing that Muslims do not have a guarantee by virtue of their faith alone is not being touched by the fire of hell. Unlike Christians, Muslims have to focus on doing good deeds and refraining from evil along with having faith in order to be saved from the fire of hell.

    So, to reiterate: People who die having true faith in Allah (swt) are guaranteed not to remain in the hell fire forever. Pious people who have repented from their sins, and who have pleased their Lord will go to heaven directly. There will be others who will be punished for some time in Hell, and then will be sent to heaven. However, unlike the Jews ... this is not an acceptable outcome for Muslims (to stay in hell temporarily, and then go to heaven). Some Jews have told me that the evil doers amongst them will stay in an in-between type of place for a little bit, and then go to heaven .. with no punishment. The Muslim believes that the punishment in Hell will be extremely severe .. beyond any type of punishment which could occur in this world. So, even a short while in the Hell fire is not acceptable for a Muslim .. and hence we make it our goal till our last breath to obey our Creator in every regard, to refrain from doing evil deeds, and continuously ask for forgiveness due to our many shortcomings.

    All of the above is consistent with the role we play in this life .. that of a person being tested. While one is being tested, he does not know of the outcome. Similarly, no one knows before they die whether or not they will be saved from any punishment. We fear Allah (swt) that he will choose to punish us for our sins, and we have hope in Allah (swt) that he will forgive us of our sins and in his infinite mercy enter us into the Paradise he has created for his slaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. About the alcohol point - no I had decided a few months before I converted to stop drinking. However, even after I stopped drinking for good and before when I was depressed, alcohol wasn't the only thing to set it off - i would sometimes just hear a sad song or think of it something and instantly become depressed. It was as if in some ways i was bipolar. I don't really feel anything like that now. So, yes Islam forbids alcohol, but the real peace has been through the power and glory of Allah (SWT).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could the fact that you also do not listen to music prevent you from hearing sad songs to set off depression?

    Just a thought.


    Interesting about temporary hell, that's similar to the Christian idea of purgatory (which is not written about in the bible and most christians do not believe in anymore). You say that muslims have hope in Allah's infinite mercy to spare you from even a temporary hell. Well if his mercy is truly infinite then you should have nothing to worry about.
    So how does Allah deal with other People of the Book? How does he deal with people who have never heard of Islam?

    ReplyDelete