Sunday, August 27, 2006

New Muslim, Old Muslim

Salaam Alaikum,

Hello folks. I am still in Chicago, but will be back in Atlanta, in'shallah, by tomorrow evening. I hope to see a couple of you at the masjid tomorrow evening.

I heard some very sad news on Friday while I was driving up to Chicago. One of the most liked members of the Atlanta Muslim community, Brother Saeed Razzak, passed away. He had been in the hospital for the last week after suffering a stroke and then another one in the hospital, so the prognosis on his recovery was weak at best. The unfortunate part is that I only just met him, about a month ago, during a dinner party in Marietta (city, north of ATL). He was very nice and courteous and after dinner, we all went to the Marietta masjid for the 'isha' (late night prayer). Then, even though he was in his 70s, he said he could take me home. We stopped at his place and he gave me a whole bunch of books including Martin Lings' famous book on Mohammed (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).

He also gave me a couple pamphlets including a guide for New Muslims and encouraged me to send him comments as he was planning on revising it. I traded a couple of emails with him before he died. And the tragedy is that I only knew him for a month.

I know that living and dying are all part of Allah's (subbana ho wa t'ala) plan and I feel like there was something special almost in Brother Saeed and I meeting. Almost, a passing of the torch from an old Muslim to a new one. I hope I can honor his presence through my own good deeds and perhaps pass my own interest in Islam to others.

"Jazak Allah Khair" (May God Reward Your Good Deeds).

Shyam

No comments:

Post a Comment