Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Can See Clearly Now

Asalaam Alaikum (Peace be with you),

Today marked the first day of Ramadan, the holiest month of the year for Muslims the world over. It is hard for me to believe this is my fifth Ramadan and I hope to not let the month fly by, as usual, without taking advantage of all the blessings associated with. Part of the obligation of Muslims during Ramadan is fasting from sunrise to sunset and abstaining from all food and liquids as well as sexual relations with our partners, backbiting, lying, cursing, etc.

As I have posted before, Ramadan is not so much a physical battle as it is mental. We believe that Shaitan (Satan) is chained during this month and cannot adversely affect the Ummah (Muslim community) so the evil that happens is because of our own nafs (desires). So, when I feel like taking a small sip of that Diet Coke in my car or grabbing a Fig Newton, I believe it's just my innermost desires trying to beat those parts of me that are trying to do good. It's a mental battle of the highest proportion - it is my jihad, my struggle.

What's remarkable about fasting during this month is also how much clarity it brings to your mind. Part of the daily du'a or supplication that many Muslims make during this time is for Allah SWT to hear our calls for help and guidance and give us the hikmah (wisdom) or taufiq (ability) that we seek. As my friend Meriban used to say, He helps those who ask for help. I fast at different times during the year, but I truly believe that fasting during Ramadan is just special in a different way - every minute, every hour, every day fasting feels like an eye opening experience. I have already learned so much about myself in the last 12 hours as well as realized a few things that I need to do.

I also feel like this Ramadan is special for another reason - it's coinciding with the end of a tough summer for me and the beginning of what I hope to be a challenging, yet incredibly enjoyable semester of teaching AND graduate school. In two weeks, I resume my doctoral work at Georgia State, but in Criminal Justice. I am going to be part of the inaugural cohort of doctoral students - nine of us - who hope to take the value of a GSU Ph.D. far into the world.

May Allah SWT accept all my fasts and all my prayers when I'm fasting. May He reward my intentions to succeed in graduate school and reward my enthusiasm. May He put Baraka in my job and allow me to teach and really help students learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment