
This Year's Love (Had Better Last)
Asalaam Alaikum (Peace be with you),
I'm usual not in the habit of accepting reading suggestions from Men's Health, but after my most recent romantic debacle, I thought why not? According to MH, Gary Shteyngart's "Super Sad True Love Story" is "the funniest, most guy-friendly love tale of the summer." I guess that's #1 on my list. Here are Shteyngart's words of wisdom on four books dealing with the same theme:
If you've just been dumped
Read: "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro
Why: "Human clones fall in love but are harvested for organs. It's so devastating I vowed to never love again. That lasted 40 minutes. We rebound.
If you have doubts
Read: "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick
Why: "Ever date a woman who isn't quite human? Figure that out early. Then run.
If you're longing
Read: "Fathers and Sons" by Ivan Turgenev
Why: "Girl rejects boy. She thinks, God knows where it might have gone. One musn't fool around with this kind of thing. She is wrong.
If it's been a while
Read: "Portnoy's Complaint" by Philip Roth
Why: "Before one can love another, one must love oneself for quite a bit. Evan as one's mother is knocking door the bathroom door.
--------------------------
I am always open to more suggestions, insha'Allah. I want to also tackle the original novel versions of "Atonement" and "The English Patient."
No comments:
Post a Comment