Fatima's Story
Asalaam Alaikum,
I found this the other day on the BBC and have sent it to many people around the world. It is an extremely powerful slideshow and narration on the life of Fatima, a Muslim woman living in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), who was raped by her step-father, who blamed his sexual perversion on "shaitan" (Satan). When given a camera, Fatima uses it to take pictures using her sisters as models that represent how she is feeling. At the end of the slideshow, we see that she has taken off the hijab and moved to America.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7966086.stm
I sent the link to a number of people and started a dialogue with a Palestinian-American friend of mine. This is what he wrote in an email,
"I really really dont blame her for taking off the hijab, you know why b/c our deen (religion) represents honor and chastity and what not, but when your own deen does not defend you why are you going to want to do anything with it? It's a sad sad case, and in reality its even harder to bring this sister to the deen. The only way you could tackle these kinds of situations it tarnish the image of the culture, and try to bring light on the deen which will be hard but it could be done .... We live in a sick sick world habibi, wallah the more I live life the more I get sick of living, like I'm not thinking crazy thoughts you know dont get me wrong, but it's like there is so much garbage s**t out there man that you don't know where to start .... what ever it is we still have to get involved in these womens rights programs b/c we have to show these girls that not all muslims are your dad that raped you"
tell me...why does ur mind think so much? and that too depressing stuff...suicide, rape....!
ReplyDeleteI have also had friends commiting suicide. but I never went into such deep thoughts to the extent that they would drive me into conversion! think happy think less! you will probably make your family happier!
Well its guys too they don't give girls a chance. And looked down upon them and the guys think they are always right. And especially if people truly follow Allah as they say, they will be better muslim and not looked down upon every muslim
ReplyDeleteAsalaam Alaikum. I didn't become Muslim because my friends committed suicide, so they didn't "drive" me into conversion. Also, I choose to speak and write about suicide, abuse, depression, etc. BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE TAKES ON THE RESPONSIBILITY.
ReplyDelete