Saying Goodbye to Family Guy
Asalaam Alaikum (Peace be with you),
I've been a fan of Family Guy for a long time. Some of my old roommates and I would spend hours watching it and we memorized numerous lines, especially Peter's laugh and Quagmire's cheesy,"Awwwwwriiiiight." But, there have definitely been times when I seriously wondered whether I should be watching the show because of the raunchy humor and the issues they touch that are still definitely shocking. And I believe they - the creators and producers - have finally crossed the line, or at least my line of tolerance.
In a recent episode, they showed Jesus - Isa in Arabic and a beloved Muslim prophet - arguing with Joseph (Yusuf). When Joseph says no to one of Jesus's request, the latter says, "Fine, you're not my real dad anyway," and promptly picks up the phone (an interesting anachronism) and calls his "real father" aka Allah (SWT). This is where it becomes absolutely loathsome. Not only do the creators of Family Guy depict Allah (SWT) as a man, but they show Him in bed with a woman and having an argument over wearing a condom.
I mean, I'm having trouble just writing these words because the act depicted above is so terrifying, so awful, just so haraam (forbidden) that when I initially saw it, I literally turned off the TV and had to ask myself about what I just seen.
By depecting Allah (SWT) as a man, the Family Guy people have committed a sin known as tajseem or anthropomorphism or displaying something or someone with human characteristics. There are some references in Qur'an and hadith to Allah (SWT) possessing the equivalent of some human anatomy, but we don't know what exactly or how it looks. So, to draw Allah (SWT) in human form is not only impossible, but also absolutely forbidden.
This is something I have thought about for awhile - man's desire to see God and imagine what He looks like. Two movies and two actors come to mind when I think about this dilemma - Alanis Morissette in Dogma and Morgan Freeman in Bruce Almighty. I remember watching both movies at separate occasions and being queasy, as if I have been guilty about what I was watching. And subhanallah, it was Allah (SWT) that put the feeling in my heart of guilt so even then, when I was not Muslim, did I know that depicting God as a man was wrong.
why cant draw? Doesnt make sense........
ReplyDeleteU are just retarded, not muslim, just retarded go fuck a cow, fuck U idiots U fuck my shows with the beep fuck u allah fuck u stupid retarded, why dont u do smthg good and bomb usa
ReplyDeleteI'm Christian...I live in Spain. In this series, Family Guy, we watch a funny vision of our Jesus...and do you think that Christians are annoyed by this????
ReplyDeleteoh please!!!
it's only humour!!! it's funny!!
why you never look your religion with humour or a open mind????
you only have a life (the religions promise you more than one...) and is stupid to be annoyed for everything!!!!
enjoy the life...look at your religion with another eyes...and don't let that others manipulate your life...because is yours...
For second anonymous: HAVE SUM RESPECT FOR OTHER RELIGIONS, and if you cant then keep your lame ass comments to yourself. Astaghfirullah wa atoob elaik. how dare you say such a thing, i honestly feel bad for you for being so naive.
ReplyDeletemay god guide you onto the right path. you will see who will be laughing in the end. Hopefully you will realize before it's too late.
By the way i sense a grudge you hold against shyam use that energy into sumthing positive, and just worry about yourself.
If they make fun of their own religion muslims get mad. If the make fun of Islam muslims get mad. Don't you have better things to worry about? People like this blogger make me hate my own religion ... I was born a Muslim, not sure if I'll die as one.
ReplyDeleteyour fucking dumb. get a sense of humor. this politically correct bullshit and fear of offending is destroying our country. its just a show and if you as a spineless humorless piece of amphibian shit cant laugh then just shut it off and keep your lips shut. your wasting our bandwidth posting scum like this.
ReplyDeleteWow... I'm just in shock at how closed minded the muslim community is getting. I thought the fucking right wings were obnoxious.
ReplyDeleteHow about somebody make this sort of fun with your mom, sister, dad or your family? Can you digest that fun guys? Yes, some of you guys would say "why not? cause we are so called modern"... Then some of you guys would tell that's a pervert thing to do...
ReplyDeleteGuys...come on...it is nothing about having closed mind or open mind. If you really have an open mind you would not hurt other people's feelings. The Muslim people loves their prophet and Creator as you love your beloved ones. So they did not like it. What on earth is wrong with that? Why you guys need to write all these bad words?
Close-minded people that make all Muslims in the U.S. look stupid!
ReplyDeletePlease ma'am this is a free country and we have the right do make fun of everything and anything. It's called the first amendment.
I understand you don't like it when people mention your religious symbols but it's not yours only that made fun of on Family Guy or other similar shows so get over it and learn how to be little be less stiff!
OMG......what is going on over here...abusing eachothers relegion...in every little argument either it is for tv or nt...r u guys in ur senses....i say if MUSLIMS want us not to make fun of our relegion we just shouldnt.....either we r cool with making our fun or not...freedom of speech goes both ways if somebody has a problem with our actions then they shoul speak up and we should listen to them.....what if there tv shows made fun of 9 11 would that be funny...no....
ReplyDeletefinally someone with common sense
ReplyDelete