Sunday, June 01, 2008

Of Tolerance ... and Friendships

Asalaam Alaikum (Peace be with you),

Last week, I had a very unfortunate and displeasing incident at my friends' house and since it happened so recently, I feel compelled to blog about it since it's burning a hole in my head. The quick version is that I went over to these sisters' house to pick up some food donations for Project Downtown [the Chicago chapter of a national Muslim charity that provides nutritious and halal meals to the homeless and poor.]

Their mom is a typical Pakistani "aunty" and within minutes of my arrival, she produced some dinner and made me sit down and eat. While I was eating, I was talking to these two about something or the other and we got on the subject of Palestine. I mentioned that I might be visiting that country in a few months - another long story - and one of the sisters asked, "How do you start a Jewish parade?" I immediately stiffened and muttered something like, "Um, yeah I don't really want to know," and she told me the punchline. I had this sour taste in my month because I can't stand jokes about other nationalities/races.

So, I decided to say something about it and how I was tolerant of Jews because I had background in Jewish Studies, etc. Then, one of them asked, "So, do you believe the Holocaust was really a holocaust?" That's when, for lack of a better word, I "lost it." I started getting angry and saying stuff like how I didn't appreciate their jokes and the whole conversation went downhill in a matter of minutes. They were bemused with my initial reaction, till they saw I was dead serious and they got pissed. I muttered my goodbyes, picked up the donations and walked out.

When I got home, I wrote them an email. Here it is:

"Asalaam Alaikum,

I realize that both of you are probably bewildered, confused and downright pissed off at my reaction to our conversation and my sudden departure. But from where I was sitting, the conversation turned sour quickly and worsened because of your inability to take my reaction seriously.

"A few years ago, if someone made a comment or joke involving Jews, I might have laughed nervously, knowing the joke was in poor taste, and probably felt uncomfortable inside, but the feeling would have subsided. But, then and now, I would develop an insecurity or a chink would form in my opinion of that person because of the joke.

"My problem is that Muslims do a lot of things to hurt their world reputation and when they continue to make jokes about other groups, particularly Jews, all it does is devalue the positive efforts made by everyone else to improve the image of Muslims. You might think making these jokes or comments was okay since, as your friend said, it was in your house among friends and not on the street. But, I disagree. To even try and challenge the Holocaust ("Do you believe the holocaust was a holocaust?") or make an anti-Semitic joke ("How do you start a Jewish parade?") are both signs to me of a deeper mistrust.

"You might think I am too sensitive and you are right. I am sensitive on a number of issues and my feelings vs. others' feelings have always been in conflict. But, I am telling you now that almost nothing pisses me off more than to hear Muslims make comments about Jews because, as I just said, it makes all Muslims look bad. Years before I became Muslim, I did a minor in Jewish Studies at Purdue and though I am a proud Muslim now, I am grateful for the Jewish knowledge I obtained in college because at the very least, it made me sensitive to other groups.

"I am too old to surround myself with negative people - and people who make comments like yours' are negative people. I would like to remain friends and would like both of you to take part in PD, but if my ultra-sensitivity is problematic, than we have a problem."

One of my favorite professors at Georgia State, Chip Gallagher in Sociology, wrote a beautiful pamphlet titled, "Ten Simple Things You Can Do to Improve Race Relations." It affected me deeply and that I feel like I need to share with everyone. Perhaps some copies are in order for these Muslim sisters?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:44 PM

    I think the greater offense is you blowing up at the aunty in her own house. You are right - her joke was a poor reflection on her. But I think your offense was worse. Showed a lack of respect to the elder. And you know you can't change them anyway.

    You should have just left with your and your host's dignity intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you misunderstood - I had no problem with the aunty, but her daughters. The older woman spoke as much English as I spoke Urdu (which is very little). My problem was with the younger daughters, 20 and 21.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:10 PM

    To 1st anonymous writer,

    Are you Muslim? Are you a practicing Muslim? Do you not believe in the basic tenets of Islam, that is that all are equal and only differ in piety?

    Unfortunately, I am not shocked that someone commented in this way--perpetuating the notion that arbitrary cultural norms should supercede an elementary concept in our faith. Indeed, respecting your elders, specifically your parents, is there too...but only if they do not conflict with God's rules for us.

    This is just another evidence to sadly illustrate why it is no wonder we, as Muslims, are so easily externally influenced. We are so fragmented--Sunni, Shia, this tribe, that tribe--ugh...the last time I checked one is Muslim or not, and that's it. But I guess I would be basing my logic on the Qur'an and not on any man-made hate ideology like so many of us humans are prone to do.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:27 PM

    very interesting. I also dislike it when people make such comments, but such comments are indicative of something else: a gap or a 'chink' that you seem to have at least endeavored to fill through your studies.

    mutual respect can only develop when people know the truth about each other: the good and the bad. Unfortunately for a lot of muslims the religion of Judaism is largely a blank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:23 PM

    SubhanAllah, good for you. And thanks for being an inspiration.

    Our beloved Rasulullah saws was the best example of tolerance and peace and he is the best of examples for us.

    Once Hafsa rAa was teasing Safiyyah rAa (both wives of the Prophet saws) for being the "daughter of a Jew", and she started to cry. When Rasulullah saws saw her, he asked her why she was crying and she told him what Hafsa had said. He said, O Safiyyah, surely, you're the daughter of a Prophet, your uncle was also a prophet, and you are the wife of a prophet. So what does she have over you to boast about?

    And he turned to Hafsa and told her to fear Allah.

    [Safiyyah was a descendent of Haarun (as) and her uncle was Musa (as), and her husband was Muhammad saws.]

    :)

    There's another story about the Prophet saws standing out of respect when the funeral procession of a Jew passed by. The companions asked, but Ya Rasulullah! It's the body of a Jew. And he saws responded, And is it not a human soul?

    SallAllahu 'alaih.

    May Allah bless you akhi.
    (PS: I'm a religious studies major and without a doubt, my favorite RLS class so far has been Judaism. There was one particular book, called the 19 Letters, which really increased my faith. It was a beautiful book written by a rabbi, but the principles he taught could be applied to almost any religion. If you get a chance, pick it up! I forget the author, but if you're interested, drop me a comment somewhere on my blog and I'll get you the name.)
    Assalaamualaikum!

    ReplyDelete