"I Ain't Trying to Profit Off the Prophet"
Bismillahir Rehamir Rahim,
6:48 a.m. (ET) - It feels good to have actually woken up on time to pray 'fajr.' May Allah (SWT) forgive me for not being consistent and for constantly having to make up 'fajr' after 8 or 9 a.m. The other reason I woke up early was to eat a solid breakfast before 'fajr' began at 5:55 a.m. since I am fasting today. May Allah (SWT) accept my fast today (Ameen).
It came as some surprise to me that Lupe Fiasco is Muslim. I have admired him since be burst into the hip-hop scene, more for rapping about skateboarding than anything (check out "Kick Push" on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu31UielwH0). I haven't heard his new record, but I do like the above track and his second single, "Daydream" feat. Jill Scott, and the video, which is set in a comic store (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQuDGtThwA).
Anyway, I was reading an article on Alt Muslim about Fiasco being a devout Muslim (http://www.altmuslim.com/perm.php?id=1853_0_26_0_C) which made me pretty happy. I mean there is no shortage of Muslims in hip hop, but many of them are not mainstream Islam, but more belong to off-shoots that take away from the world of Allah (SWT) like the Nation of Islam and the 5 Percenters. It was also interesting to read that Fiasco has a free remix available of "Muhammed Walks," his version of fellow Chicago MC Kanye West's "Jesus Walks." As the title of this post says, one of the lines in the Fiasco version is:
"I ain't trying to profit off the Prophet, so this one here's for free."
One question though - if he's such a devout Muslim, why is his album titled, "Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor"????
One question though - if he's such a devout Muslim, why is his album titled, "Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor"????
ReplyDeleteI think I heard him explain it this way - he is using "food" to represent good and "liquor" to represent bad - and he's talking about both. I guess you could roughly translate it as "Lupe Fiasco's reflections on the Good and Bad in his world"
I thought music was forbidden to Muslims? How can one be both a music producer and a devout Muslim at the same time?
ReplyDeleteMatt, this is a hard one to answer and probably reflects my own torn feelings about this. I have given up DJing completely, but cutting the ties with music has been hard. In the strictest sense, music is forbidden - or at least music that is not in praise of Allah (SWT) or Muhammed (peace be upon him).
ReplyDeleteSo, there is some hypocrisy in the notion that one could be a devout Muslim AND in the music industry. I am the first to admit that. It would be like a Muslim cheerleader ... not so much.
I think my next post is definitely going to be on music.
Music is forbidden in Islam?
ReplyDeleteCall me ignorant all you want, guys, but that is dumb. This religion seems based on shackling you while you're on Earth...and this is your one life. Why would a god want to deprive you of simple and instinctual pleasures like music.
Oh I get it. Only music that praises Allah. Well, super. Let's all sing songs about this tyranical deity and how we're so thankful for all the rules and regulations he hath blessed upon us.
Shyam, you should become a Sufi ;)
ReplyDelete> Call me ignorant all you want,
ReplyDelete> guys, but that is dumb. This
> religion seems based on shackling
> you while you're on Earth...and
> this is your one life. Why would
> a god want to deprive you of
> simple and instinctual pleasures
> like music.
Here is where you logic fails. The various rules in Islam will not make complete sense unless the afterlife is included in the equation. The purpose of life in this world is not to enjoy ourselves. Rather, it is a test to see who will worship and obey Allah (swt) the most. Muslims look foreward to the afterlife in heaven to enjoy ourselves fully.
It's funny that you mention my logic failing and then talk about payoffs in an unproven afterlife based upon who worships an unproven god the most. I'm not trying to undercut religion here. I'm just saying that it's not logical.
ReplyDeleteWhy wouldn't a god want you to enjoy yourself here? What does he/she get out of stifling us? I cannot think of any logical reason besides extreme selfishness.
typical case of how literally must you interpret a book.
ReplyDeletegoing by noels 'logic' which i agree entirely with... if allah did infact want his word spread, he would have written a book on how EXACTLY his words had to be interpreted. better still he could have made sure everyone knew exactly what he meant without bickering about the fact that his followers are essentialy relying on 'faith' and cannot demonstrate the 'reality' of allah.
arguing with believers is pretty much a waste of time.. it offers me some entertainment.. beyond that it really is a waste of time.
heres something to do...i think its time the issue of interpretation is discussed here.. its absolutely vital.
islam is founded on such shaky ground. a book in a language known to very few people.. the only ACCEPTED way is to learn that language. your understanding is colored by the person you learn the language from. very shady indeed.
bacon and bikinis are better than halal and hijabs
ReplyDeletethat should be the title of his next album
I heard a song by Lupe Fiasco tonighht, it was pretty good.
ReplyDeleteWhere's your post about music an Islam?
montgomery..ur a fag simple as that..when this life is over (and mark my words, it'll be over quickly, ull regret what u had believed) u are already 30, so u dont have that much time left. i think u should think over everything, and possibly convert to islam.
ReplyDelete