Friday, November 10, 2006

Returning to a Hindu Temple

Bismillah Rehmanir Rahim (In the Name of Allah, the Beneficient, the Merciful),

Last weekend I went to Chicago - again - but this time it was for a really short trip. I landed at Midway on Thursday afternoon and went home and a few hours later hit the road with my Mom for a family friend's wedding near Milwaukee. I had been very excited about this wedding for some time because it was a dear friend of mine and of the family's - his mom and my mom are like sisters and in fact my mom brought a lot of stuff for the wedding during one of her recent India trips.

But, I also had some apprehension going into the weekend because it was also the first time I would be going into a Hindu temple since I became Muslim. Now, like everything else in Islam, there's a lot of variation in opinion as to whether it's ok for a Muslim to attend a non-Muslim wedding. Some people say that it is 'haraam' or forbidden for a Muslim to enter the place of worship of another religion - or if you enter, you cannot allow yourself to overhear any prayers for any other gods, etc. But, I asked the 'imam' of my masjid a couple months ago and he said there was no problem as long as my intentions were good. And that's really the key to this whole issue - intentions.

Intentions are a big part of a lot of our 'ibadah or actions as Muslims. In everything I do, I should have the intention of pleasing Allah (SWT). And if I do anything that I know displeases Allah (SWT), I must ask for forgiveness. And when we boil down the issue of visiting a Hindu temple, one must look at my intentions. I wasn't going to the temple to worship, but for a wedding. At no time were my intentions to cast off my faith or worhsip another god (the worst sin possible) nor did I feel drawn to doing so. Yes, I was very close to the sanctum, along with everyone else, but since Allah (SWT) knows all of our thoughts and desires and we can hide nothing from him, then I am not afraid for I have done nothing wrong. Not once did I have an intention of doing anything to harm my 'iman' or faith.

But, with all of that, it was still interesting to return to a Hindu temple because although my family's religiosity is not as high as others, that culture is still part of my past. The sounds, sights and smells of Hinduism are all too familiar and I would be lying if I said those three senses didn't bring back memories of India.

This brings up an interesting point, which is how different will India be for me now in future visits? Will Muslim India be radically different than Hindu India? For the next post ...

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:34 PM

    What about the rule that non-Hindus are generally not permitted in Hindu temples? It's possible that an exception was made for the wedding, but more likely I suspect it was just ignored..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating Sha'am. I wish I could have seen you. Sorry it didnt work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:54 PM

    I've always wondered what drew you towards Islam.

    I was raised a Hindu, and the idea of absolutely ignoring or not accepting other religious beliefs flies way over my head. Today I'm an agnostic, but that does not mean that I do not participate in festivals like Holi and Diwali. I went to a Christian school in India, and therefore Easter and Christmas are very well a part of me as well. In addition to that I have friends who follow other religions - Buddhism, Islam, Jainism, Sikhism, and so on - and therefore, I like being a part of their religious customs as well.

    Since you were raised a Hindu, I'm sure (or at least hope) you were taught to accept other religions. Reading your blog, it appears to be a lot different now. What do you think about this change, both from a first and a third person view point?

    I hope you'll answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To my knowledge the rule you are talking about is not about entering temples, but about entering the inner sanctum of some temples. Two points - first, there were more non-Hindus than Hindus at this wedding and everyone went to the temple after the wedding. So, I don't know about it being ignored. And secondly, as I just wrote, many of the old Hindu temples, especially in the South, allow everyone to enter a temple, but only Hindus into the inner sanctum. I visited an old temple like this last year in India in Kancheepuram and went all the way inside. However, now as a Muslim, I would not.

    You might ask how do they know if you're a Hindu or not? Well, I would just not go but I suppose there are questions people can ask to find out. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There sure are a lot of rules...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:21 PM

    salaam walikum,

    I saw your latest post and thought to make a comment. I actually also am revert from indian background in usa. as far as i know since i became muslim..when i went to temple afterwards.. i just looked and paid more attention to the things in it. like idols and everything.. although it does remind of the culture.. but i feel more close to islam of oneness of allah. well just wanted to introduce myself. do write a comment if you feel like. take care
    salaam walikum
    fawzia
    fawzia.kh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete