Monday, November 20, 2006

A Response to Geetali: Can a Muslim Eat Star of David cookies?

[Alternate Title: "Can a Muslim Listen to Christian Radio?"]


Bismillahir Rehmanir Rahim,

Dear Geetali,

Thanks for your fine comment. The exclusiveness of faith has been something I have pondered of late, especially now that I am muslim, because it is an issue that comes up a lot. A lot of my friends in Atlanta have seen me struggle with not my faith, but with muslims who represent all variations of Islam and have tried, sometimes in vain, to pull me towards their "sides." The most extreme of these highly observant Muslims, I have witnessed, are very much against anything that is not Islamic i.e. relating to Islam or Muslims. For example, I have a large framed photo at home of my paternal great-grandfrather from the 1920s. I came home one day and found the photo turned around, facing in the wall. I wasn't angry ... ok, I was angry because I wondered which of my two roomies had touched my stuff. It turns out that one of them had wanted to pray near it, but turned it around, not because it was my great-grandfather but because it was of a non-believer or 'kaffir.' That really annoyed me. People like this have also told me, for example, that Muslims shouldn't read or take an interest in other religions (which I disagree with vehemently because scholastic knowledge is good).

I have also, of late, turned this argument on its head and thought about some day to day versions of this. So, when I was at Dominick'ss last weekhere in Oak Park, IL (where I am spending a week), I saw a box of Star of David cookies, which I wanted to buy for my old roommate Sara, who's converting to Judaism. I mean they were just sugar cookies in the shape of the Star with light blue food coloring and yet for a second, I wondered whether it was okay to buy these cookies because they represented a shape of another religion. I could immediately see my "friends" coming up with two arguments - Muslims shouldn't be associated with anything, even food, that is tied to another religion. And, why I am giving her something tied to a religion that I know is not the best religion? First off - and again, no one has asked me these things, I'm just sayin' - they are just cookies. So what if they are shaped like Stars of David?? And second, I am happy that she has found faith and believes in one god. Islam wouldn't exist without the Jewish prophets who started the line that ended with Muhammed (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) and we are taught to respect all followers of "The Book." In fact, a Muslim man can marry a Christian or Jewish woman, as long as she becomes a Muslim eventually and the children are raised to be Muslim. But, that's for another day ....

But, I bought the cookies ...... :)
-------------------------------------------

Now, about some of the points you raised. I have the same background as you in many ways. I lived in India from 1989 to 1997 and was in school from 5th to 12th. I too went to a Christian school where we had to read and sing Christian hymns ("All Things Bright and Beautiful" sticks out, possibly because it was the name of my favorite James Herriot book as well) and had friends of many religions, like most people in India. Among my most immediate close group were a Sikh, two Hindus, a Korean and a Syrian Christian. My graduating class had Protestants, Catholics, Parsis, Muslims, etc.

And yes, I did take part in Hindu festivals, but not because I actually knew what I was doing, but more because I was too immature or unsure of what exactly I was doing and more letting my family tell me what to do. That changed when I turned 16 or 17 and became your average rebellious high school student, far more attracted to the escapism and individualism of atheism or agnosticism and shunned Hinduism.

But, where I disagree with you very much is with your comment that Hinduism accepts all religions. If that was true, then the Hindu caste system would accept all religions and there would be place for others. But, there is a clear four-layer categorization with the lowest caste of Dalits not even getting an official caste and then, there are non-Hindus. Perhaps I don't believe Hinduism is accepting of other religions because history has not been kind of this subject in India with so much violence of Hindu agaisnt Muslim, Hindu against Sikh, Hindu against Christian. And more so, as one of the biggest reasons I converted to Islam, was studying in detail the structure of Hindu nationalism and fundamentalism that is so ardently and passinately supported now in India by so many and its inherent hatred of non-Hindus.

More to come on this topic ....

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:47 AM

    C'mon, Shyam. I don't see anything coming between you and cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:31 PM

    Shyam, have you forgotten what it was like to live in Madras?

    The categorization of the caste system is anything but clear - everything depends on your subcaste not whether you are Vaishya (or whatever). Barring Dalits and Brahmins, how many people actually know what caste they are in the main 4? I certainly don't.

    And I do think Hinduism, both as a religion and a culture accepts all religions. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about it because Hinduism is the name given to an entire civilization on the subcontinent, which happens to include a religion. It can't be categorized and defined like every other major religion with a single holy book and/or guiding doctrine.

    In a country of a billion people there will always be some violence against someone, but there is no significant violence between Hindus and any religion except Muslims (and that involved specific circumstances). And what violence did happen, was not based on religion (eg: the anti-Sikh violence in 1983/4 was not based on religion but anger at IG's assasination even though it targeted Sikhs).

    I'm not sure I understand your point about how Hinduism can only be deemed to have accepted other religions if it actually includes them within itself and gives them a special category. Apart from the fact that Hinduism DOES incorporate a lot of stuff from other religions because it is so flexible, I think it is more important that it tends to leave other people alone and lets them choose whatever path they want to follow - that's what acceptance means to me.

    BN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:42 PM

    PS - I don't think Hindu fundamentalism is as broadbased in India as you think - it *never* took root among 300 million people in the South, and even in the North, the BJP learned the limitations fundamentalism in 2004 when they came up against an electorate that is fundamentally pretty chilled.

    And frankly, saying you converted to Islam because you don't like Hindu fundamentalists is like saying you don't like Muslims because of Al Qaeda has done - it's the same logical fallacy.

    BN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:32 PM

    > Apart from the fact that Hinduism
    > DOES incorporate a lot of stuff
    > from other religions because it
    > is so flexible, I think it is more
    > important that it tends to leave
    > other people alone and lets them
    > choose whatever path they want to
    > follow - that's what acceptance
    > means to me.

    The fact that it incorporates stuff from other religions shows that it's not a real religion. A religion provides guidance, and truth. If it were a complete religion, it would have guidance contained within it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:03 PM

    A good resource for you is:
    www.sunnipath.com

    It'll give you detailed answers to some of the issues you are struggling with inshallah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:24 AM

    Hmmmm "And second, I am happy that she has found faith and believes in one god" makes me sound like I was a dirty heathen.

    All faiths love the Magen cookies. They have been enjoyed by a: Muslim, Catholic, Hindu, agnostic, and soonabee Jew. I'll have to take a few to school and share with a Protestant & a Buddhist. Everyone loves sugar cookies. Because white things with blue accents are awesome (cf: me).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:27 AM

    Also: let's get some "holiday" tree cookies, smush them up and make green crescent/star cookies. It'll be schweet. We'll have them with the chai tea ice cream I made tonight. Mmmmm, desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:47 PM

    hmm.. dont be a hypocrite ss. islam is as pro-caste as any other religion.

    shia - sunni. (yes theyre castes... lets not get into semantics here.)

    go back to madras and find out if a 'rowther' (equivalent of a sub caste in hinduism) would marry a muslim from another community. theyre as likely to say NO as a brahmin is, if asked about marrying a non brahmin.

    caste/community based divisions exist in all 3 of the largest religions.

    you seem educated enough to know this. yet your latest belief system is blinding you.

    ....if one of the biggest reasons you converted to islam was because of hindu nationalism and fundamentalism - you probably need to convert to something less fundamental than islam.

    on the otherhand, maybe not. maybe you should attack the white house.. blow yourself up in the name of jihad and hope for the best... allah may hook you up with 40 virgins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:52 AM

    > shia - sunni. (yes theyre castes...
    > lets not get into semantics here.)

    That is just as ignorant as saying protestants and catholics are castes. They are different sects of Islam.

    > go back to madras and find out
    > if a 'rowther' (equivalent of a
    > sub caste in hinduism) would marry
    > a muslim from another community.
    > theyre as likely to say NO as a
    > brahmin is, if asked about marrying
    > a non brahmin.

    Compatibility between spouses is encouraged in Islam. Those who are the most righteous and knowledgable about Islam are the individuals with the highest status. Regardless, even if Muslim individuals in a specific community choose not to marry with people from other lineages or communities, then that is from their own doing. There is nothing in the religion which mandates such a thing. Rather, the Prophet (saw) encouraged people to marry outside of their tribe.

    The Prophet Muhammad (saw) lived his life as a poor person. Poor people identified with him and were among the early Muslims. He gave special glad tidings for poor people in the hereafter, that they will be going into paradise before rich people. In the Prophet's (saw) last sermon, he clearly removed any predudice between Arabs and non-Arabs saying that they were the same. In one instance, he was encouraging his Companions to be loyal to the leader of the state - even if the leader was a black slave (considered by the pagan society at the time to be the lowest of the low). The Prophet (saw) considered him as a slave of Allah (swt), and a Muslim is not a Muslim he or she does not believe that. Even regarding the genders, Islam brought honor to them. Before people would bury their daughters alive, and would be saddened by the birth of a girl. After Islam, the Companions of the Prophet (saw) have been recorded saying that the birth of a girl now brought so much joy and happiness to parents.

    Read about the mercy, character, justice, and selflessness about the Prophet (saw). It should be obvious that those who have an agenda to defame Islam and slander the Prophet (saw) would rather not talk about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:11 AM

    "...a Muslim man can marry a Christian or Jewish woman, as long as she becomes a Muslim eventually and the children are raised to be Muslim."

    Is it really a requirement that the Christian/ Jewish woman must eventually convert? I knew the thing about the children, and the laws about pork, alcohol, etc, she must observe, and I know it would be best if she eventually converted, but I didn't think it was a requirement. Please enlighten me with daleel if I'm wrong. JazakAllah khairan.

    And you're right. It's certainly an issue with Muslims. Everyone with their differing points of views, all trying to suck you in lol. Find a trustworthy scholar (in Chicago, there's shaykh husain abdul sattar! : www.sacredlearning.org, & i'm sure many others) and direct your questions to them. That's the best way. And i agree with the above recommendation to visit sunnipath.com. And of course, the most important thing, seek guidance from Allah swt, He has brought you this far :) make du'aa that if you come across any wisdom, that your heart and mind accept it, and if you come across any falsehood that it fall deaf to you.

    In response to what some extremists say about not even befriending christians/jews:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpsQaY5oH2c

    Assalaamualaikum warehmatullah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:16 AM

    oh, and regarding the turned over photo of your grandfather, i may be wrong, but i thought it WAS a problem to pray facing a photo of a person in general (whether he be a "kafir" or not, is besides the point).

    Why the person couldn't just find another spot to pray though, i guess is another thing.

    hey, how long ago did you revert to islam, if you don't mind me asking?

    salaam

    ReplyDelete