
People Not Named Obama Who Deserve a Nobel Peace Prize - Part I: Yukio Shige
Asalaam Alaikum,
I originally thought of commenting on this recent news story in a typical manner, but decided against it when I started reading more and more about truly extraordinary individuals, men and women, who are changing lives and creating peace everywhere. So, the first installment of this series deals with Yukio Shige, a retired Japanese detective, who has singlehandedly saved 188 people from commiting suicide by talking them down. His story is amazing and encouraging. According to Coco Master's article from TIME,
"In April, on the fifth anniversary of starting his operation, Shige sat reading a three-page, handwritten letter he had received that day from a Shizuoka man, one of many he gets from those he has helped. The letter concluded by thanking Shige for providing the man with an awareness of the love that surrounded him. As Shige finished reading, the melody of 'Amazing Grace' rose from his cell phone. 'I want Tojinbo to the most challenging place,' he says. 'Not where life ends, but where it begins.'"
I know that Shige's work may not appeal to everyone, but as a survivor of suicide loss who frequently talks about breaking the silence and stigma of suicide, this man's work blew me away. I talk a lot about accountability, especially group accountability, but how many of us take that to heart and try to really save people around us who are in need? Not too many. We need more people like him, in every community and country, who devote their time and money to changing the way we live, piece by piece.
MashALLAH! I look forward to reading future postings in this series.
ReplyDeleteWonderful blog. A refreshing and balanced point of view.
ReplyDeleteI would award him over Obama any day. That is a true hero who has actually bettered the lives of people. 155 people, their family, their friends, and everyone else who has heard this story that wants to take away his life. He would never be awarded, because he is not an American, he is not known, or it is because suicide does have a stigma.
ReplyDeleteError- I meant 188.
ReplyDelete-Mohammad