Thursday, October 22, 2009

What I Want in a Partner Asalaam Alaikum (Peace be with you), This post was inspired by a conversation I had a couple of months ago with a friend in Chicago, who pointedly asked me, "What exactly do you want in a partner?" So, I thought about it and here goes: 1. Belief in the kalima - the Oneness of Allah SWT and the Prophethood of Muhammad (SAW). 2. Belief in the Five Pillars of Islam. 3. Belief in the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammd (SAW). 4. Aware and okay with my past. 5. Comfortable around non-Muslims and non-Muslim environments. 6. Attending and participating in Islamic activities at masaajid, conferences, halaqat, etc. 7. Not support riba (interest). 8. Be charitable and kind. 9. Have done some traveling and wants to travel a lot more. 11. Wears Islam on sleeve. 12. Her family should be supportive of my growth in Islam and not judge me based on my past actions. 13. Enjoy movies, plays, cultural events, etc. 14. Have a strong desire to grow in this deen and seek Islamic knowledge. 15. Always put Islam before culture. 16. Not be a salafi or Wahabi. 17. Understand the difference between haram and halal. 18. Eat only halal foods and zabiha meats. 19. Possess no hatred towards a group due to racial, ethnic, gender, etc. divisons. Not be anti-Semitic, anti-Black, etc. 20. Not drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or sheesha . 21. Be modest and wear hijab for the sake of Allah and Allah alone. 22. Polyglot 23. Do a lot of nafl fasting. 24. Environmentalist. 25. Have a sense of humor. 26. Supportive of my parents and extended family - within reason. 27. Tolerant of tasawwuf. 28. Intellectual 29. Multicultural 30. Doesn't like extreme cold.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:10 PM

    Salam:

    Insha'allah you find someone that you have described.

    I did mean meet, not meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Happy 30th birthday!! is this ur 30th bday resolution???/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had someone in mind until I read number 20.
    Unfortunately she is a real Wahabi!

    Interesting blog.

    ITB

    AJ

    ReplyDelete