Friday, November 21, 2008

Obama is a Christian - let it go!!

Asalaam Alaikum (Peace be with you),

I was telling my students today that while this election has brought out the best in America, it has also brought out the worst. The anti-Obama sentiment seeping out of the cracks now is so vicious that it is probably worse than it was during the campaign ... and unlikely to abate any time soon, perhaps not for his entire administration.

One of the controversies that has raged on and on is the one regarding Obama's religious identity. Is he a Christian? Is he a Muslim? First off, so what? According to the United States Constitution's 1st Amendment, the government cannot establish a religion (establishment clause) or "prohibit the free exercise thereof" (free exercise clause). So, Obama, as an American citizen, has the right to practice any religion he chooses because we, as Americans, all have this right as well.

Secondly, I believe that Obama is a Christian. Let me say that again - I, Shyam K. Sriram, a devout Muslim, believe that Barack Husein Obama is a Christian and I do not believe he is a Muslim. That is his religious right and I respect his decision. He has never waffled on the subject either and I admire him for that stance as well.

But, there are some people who just cannot let it go. I have seen two news stories in as many days about this issue and both are making my blood boil. The first, is a video on CNN of an interview with a Kansas minister who has an "Obama is a Muslim" sign outside of his church. And the second is an obscene and absurd campaign to stop the USPS from printing and selling Eid stamps this year because. Hanukkah, Christmas and Kwanzaa stamps are okay, but not Eid? This is an official USPS, government sponsored stamp . Islam is so demonized to these people that the notion of Obama even remotely being Muslim appears so antithetical to their beliefs of what America stands for, that it does not seem possible - to them - that Obama could be American and Muslim. And during his election and since his victory - that's right, he won - I feel like the this controversy has gained new momentum among those who would create a false syllogism: Obama could be Muslim. (Some) Muslims are terrorists. Obama is a terrorist.

We need to do so much to stop this spread of hate that I don't even know where to begin. I would encourage all of you to purchase Eid stamps to let people know that you are supporting the American tradition of the freedom of religion - that most countries do not possess.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:27 AM

    dude!! .......it is impossible for me to believe that an educated guy like u.....a prof..commenting like this!...gosh!! wonder what went wrong?? and when? that u took such a drastic step....I know ur folks so well....and they are amazingly nice human beings....cant believe they have to deal with this!....
    Obama is a christian or muslim is immaterial..I am just proud of him cos he has created history! and I hope he will bring the whites to their senses! ( since u havent officially changed ur name anyone who knows ur folks will know who u !?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:57 AM

    Whoever you are commenting "dude!" and then some ridiculous jibberish about Shyam's religion ("what went wrong? and when?"), please add something useful, or refrain from giving your opinion. Yes, everyone has an opinion, but not all of them are of equal weight, and sometimes you should keep your opinion to yourself; otherwise it reflects more poorly on you than on your intended reader. Besides, I've read your SAME comments for other posts, so we get it: You don't agree with Shyam's choice; now let it go and get to the point when and if you have one.

    ReplyDelete