Two Year Anniversary!!
Asalaam Alaikum (Peace be with you),
As I write this, I'm burning the midnight oil at the FedEx Kinko's at N. Decatur and Clairmont near Emory in Atlanta. I just had dinner before that at Fellini's on Ponce. And before that prayed isha (night prayer) at the new Al-Farooq Masjid on 14th St. And before that I stopped in after a one-year hiatus to see an old friend DJ @ Apres Diem. Why do I bring this all up? Because I was doing all of this a year ago when I still lived in Atlanta and after one year in Chicago, it feels really great, alhamdulillah, to almost seemlessly move back into Atlanta life.
I had a phenomenal year in Chicago and feel absolutely blessed by the situations Allah (SWT) put me in; the people I met; the work I did; the students I had; etc. But, returning to Atlanta, means so much to me for so many different reasons. However, the biggest reason, has to be that I just find it easier to be Muslim here. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure the lack of parents has something to do with it. But, there's something else, a certain "je ne sais quoi." It's as if Atlanta is my "Muslim" home and a moniker that will be with me for the rest of my life. This is where I took the shahada (declaration of faith) and this is where I learned how to be Muslim and practice Islam. Though I learned a lot last year in Chicago, especially in the company of Shaykh Husain Abdul Sattar (www.sacredlearning.org), my first year as a Muslim was in Atlanta and as such, I just feel religiously grounded here.
Lastly, I am feeling so much love for Atlanta because yesterday, July 21st 2008, was the 2nd anniversary since I became Muslim ... Since Allah (SWT) forgave all my pre-conversion sins ... Since Allah (SWT) wanted me to become Muslim ... Since He put me in the company of good people ... And lastly, since He gave me the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to break with the old and move in a new direction, the siratal mustaqeem or "straight path."
May Allah (SWT) give me the taufiq (ability) to be Muslim forever. Ameen.
Assalamualaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu,
ReplyDeleteFor that last dua: Ameen.
Hey, Brother Shaam. It seems like you're doing well and are happy to be back in Atlanta. This is a beautiful blog, mashaAllah. I was looking through some of the posts from earlier this year and I must say, the one about fasting was really good. I loved Shaykh Tanvi's 10th wisdom of fasting. I also really liked the post about drinking and your experience with alcohol. It really gave me a heads up before I go off to college. JazakAllahukhairun for writing.
Peace.
~Fahim
PS: I think you left your tasbeeh in my car that time we went to Italian Express.