An Unfortunate Series of Car Accidents
Asalaam Alaikum Dear Friends,
It has been a very challenging week for many of us, particularly those associated with Project Downtown nationally. In the last 8 days, three PD-people - Sister Lana (FL), Brother Mike (IL) and I (IL) - have all had car accidents. In each case, the accident was caused by someone or something else and in each case, our cars were totaled.
I suffered the "worst" injury, which was merely whiplash for two days. But, subbanallah, all of us emerged with destroyed cars, but no real bodily harm. I also know two other families - Mike's parents and an Algerian family here - who both had car accidents this past week. Again, some injuries but nothing life threatening.
Alhamdulillah, it has been a week of tests for us, the Believers. My Shakyh has said repeatedly that since Allah (SWT) has full knowledge of all that has happened, is happening and will happen, we must ask ourselves what we have done to incur His anger when obstacles confront us. But, as it is stated over and over again in the Qur'an, the mark of the believer is the one who is tested. If you are not tested in this life, then perhaps there is something not quite set firm in your imaan?
Both are scary prospects. In the last week I have been thinking over what I could have possibly done to force Allah (SWT) to let a car accident happen. What I realized is that I have become sort of complacent in my acts of ibadah. I presume that just because I help coordinate Project Downtown (PD) every two weeks and feed the homeless this way, that I don't have to do other forms of regular sadaqa. And maybe the many nafl fasts I have been doing are either not enough or I haven't really spent my time fasting, more productively?
After a week of introspection, I am left with three questions:
1. Why did Allah (SWT) allow my car accident to happen?
2. Why did Allah (SWT) allow me to survive?
3. What can I do know to show my gratitude to Allah (SWT)?
I am attaching some lists of Qur'an ayat that I think are particularly relevant. They pertain to the common themes of spending on others and being steadfast in prayer and also on why Allah (SWT) tests us. I've also included some that are specifically related to PD and feeding the hungry.
May Allah (SWT) accept our thanks in keeping Mike, Lana and I alive and may He give us the taufiq and hikma to be better Muslims and follow the siratal mustaqeem (straight path).
Spending on others/Steadfast in prayer
Sura Al-Baqarah (2-3, 90, 153, 271)
Sura Al-Ma’ida (12)
Sura Al-An’am (162-163)
Sura Al-A’raf (30)
Sura Al-Anfal (3)
Sura At-Tawba (16, 60)
Sura Ibrahim (31)
Sura Fatir (29)
Sura At-Taghabun (16)
Sura At-Tahrim (8)
Sura Al-Maarij (22-23)
Sura Al-Muzzammil (20)
Sura Al-Lail (5-7, 17-19)
Sura Al-Bayyina (5)
Tests of Faith
Sura Al-Baqarah (155, 186)
Sura Al-An’Am (152)
Sura Al-Mu’minum (62)
Sura Al-Ankabut (2-3)
Sura Ar-Rum (60)
Sura At-Taghabun (11)
Sura At-Talaq (7)
Sura Al-Mulk (2)
Sura Al-Insan (12)
Sura Al-Balad (4)
Sura Al-Inshirah (5-6)
PD-Appropriate
Sura Al-Baqarah (271)
Sura Al-An’am (118)
Sura Al-A’raf (31)
Sura Al-Hajj (36)
Sura Fatir (29)
Sura Al-Haaqqa (30 – 37) – can’t wait till Day of Judgment to feed needy
Sura Al-Muddaththir (43 – 47) – “ “ “
Sura Al-Insan (4 – 10)
Sura Abasa (24 – 32)
Sura Al-Fajr (17 – 20)
Sura Al-Balad (12 – 16)
Sura Al-Ma’un (1 – 3) – not doing charity is sign of non-believer
Glad you were relatively uninjured by your car accident, sorry you car was totaled though, that's a bummer.
ReplyDeleteCould you post the english translations to those Qur'an verses? I don't own a Qur'an.
Salaam mattress,
ReplyDeleteYou can easily find the English translations online. :) There are multiple electronic Qur'ans to browse, or even to download! :)
Salaams.
as salamu alaikum warahmatullah - you mentioned teaching at an islamic school in the chicago area - do you mind saying which one?
ReplyDeleteCPSA in Lombard
ReplyDelete