


(Un)covering My Tattoos
left, original movie poster for "American History X;" middle, my right arm; and right, the Faulkner portrait on my left pec.
The most emotional scene for me in "American History X" had to have been the bathroom scene when Edward Norton steps out of the shower, looks at himself in the mirror and covers the swastika on his chest with his left arm. To me, the scene symbolizes a whole lot of regret for the life he chose as a White Supremacist, made all the more permanent and visible by such a thought-provoking tattoo.
Flipping the script, let's take a brief look at my current position. I am a 27-year old new Muslim convert who got into tattoos at the tender age of 19 with a simple, one-line tattoo of my fraternity motto (I'm sure Dan remembers that day) and as of today, has 33 tattoos including, but not limited to, portraits of William Faulkner, Jack London, Ozzy Osbourne and my paternal grandfather; Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker from "Empire ....;' an ode to Purdue; and loyalty to India and the U.S..
The problem ... is that I am addicted to tattoos. It's not a fetish as I do not receive sexual gratification from it, but I love getting tattooed. The sound of the needle gun, the smell of inks, the pain (masochism? maybe) and the permanency of design have all appealed to me. You may not believe this as others do, but the hardest thing for me to give up is not even sex, but getting tattooed.
Tattoos have been such a large part of my life and how I have defined myself for the last eight years, that I simply cannot imagine my life without them (http://www.tattooblog.org/entry/tattoo-showing-skin-deep-love/). It's really hard to explain, but I get treated completely different when my shirt sleeves are up or my shirt sleeves are down. I go from Indian grad student to tattooed Indian grad student and there's an immediate change in how people perceive me.
The problem is of course that getting tattooed and tattooing someone are both 'haraam' or forbidden according to Islam. Now, although I have not gotten tattooed since converting, anyone who knows me knows that my tattoos "peak out" just about all the time. And trust me, that provides countless weird looks at the masjid (mosque) or any other gathering of Muslims. I mean if someone asks, I just say that it's pre-conversion and they are usually satisfied, but occasionally I get an "expert" on Islam who tells me that my 'wudu' or washing for prayer is invalid because of the tattoos or something like that [this is false.].
So, what does Islam say about tattoos? Well, the first thing anyone must do is repent for getting or giving a tattoo. And I have repented and do so now - I am sorry for getting all of these tattoos and in'shallah, I will get them removed when I am able. Now, the question of tattoo removal is also controversial because of how it is done. The Imam at my masjid, Imam Z, has told me that at all costs, I should not undergo any painful procedure and if tattoo removal is so painful, then I shouldn't do it. However, he said I should get some of my tattoos tattooed over with black ink to cover the faces of people and animals and text. That would be quite a few tattoos for me. However, my Dad is a doctor and for years, has shown me study after study that slowly prove that some tattoo inks can travel from the skin to the liver over time. And there's a good chance the damage has already been done to my liver from some inks, so I am not getting my tattoos covered up with more ink..
The only thing I can really do now is stay covered up as much as possible and in'shallah, one day I'll have the money to remove the tattoos with new and improved lasering techniques.
I know you're addicted.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mala.bc.ca/~soules/media112/zine99/tasha/news.htm
So do they.
The blond hair, the frat, the tattoo, you trying to joke on me in class about not getting a tattoo*, your search for spirituality. You are seeking acceptance, love, attention, confidence and even perhaps permission to fulfill your amazing potential. I can only say these things to you because I truly care about you.
Take care. Let's go for a dosa soon.
* "You'll never get a tattoo. You can't commit to it. That's why you don't have a boyfriend." I feel that if you were confident about it, you wouldn't have felt the need to try to embarass me.
I find your posts melodramatic. I almost find that you are finding this whole "I'm a new convert" thing glamorous. And please get over the sex thing...it comes up in your posts often.
ReplyDeleteI sincerely hope that you will dig deep into Islam ande focus first on the big things and then work your way to the minor things.
And again, please stop sensationalizing.
Wow - some really great Muslim friends!
ReplyDeletedude..its his blog...he can write about whatever the heck he wants to...
ReplyDeletei respect you.
ReplyDeletei've been having problems about tattooing and the fact that islam forbids it.
i'm a muslim by birth - but i love piercings and really badly want a tattoo, it might seem pathetic to those who don't know how it feels, but i understand what you mean.
thanks for this blog, is realy good.
yeah..i know what u mean. i am a muslim by birth and just got a tattoo of a butterfly on my lower hip. i love it but i feel kinda guilty for getting it..
ReplyDeletei totally understand what you're going through! I'm also a muslim by birth and have always had a thing for tattoos! more so after watching countless episodes of miami ink! lol but yeh totally dig what you're saying...i guess my obsession for the need of a tattoo has turned into getting pierced! my ears are like almost covered :S oh well..Nice blog dude xx
ReplyDeleteits ok. you really shouldn't worry so much. its obvious that you feel guilty about the tattoos. and since you haven't gotten any since you converted then you have nothing to worry about. Allah knows your intentions. He will judge you accordingly. He forgave you when you converted, so its no big deal. i would just keep them covered, and if you're wearing a shirt and you can see a little, don't worry, its not like youre trying to show off or something. i know muslims can be pretty judgemental sometimes, but just remember that Allah is the only real judge. Salam
ReplyDeleteMaa sha Allah, sincerity is the key to once deed been accepted if it coincides with the teaching of the Prophet peace be upon him. May Allah continue to make you firm upon this Deen(Religion)Have glad tidings from the statement of the Messenger peace be upon him.
ReplyDelete“Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Furqaan 25:70]
It was narrated that ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: When Allaah put Islam in my heart, I went to the Prophet [an error occurred while processing this directive] (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Give me your right hand so that I may give you my oath of allegiance.” So he held out his hand, but I held my hand back. He said, “What is the matter, O ‘Amr?” I said, “I want to make a condition.” He said, “What is your condition?” I said, “That I be forgiven.” He said, “Do you not know that Islam wipes out whatever came before it, and that hijrah (migration for the sake of Allaah) wipes out whatever came before it, and that Hajj wipes out whatever came before it?”
(Narrated by Muslim, 121).
May Allah protect all Muslims from the whispering of Shaitaan and his followers, Aameen.
Allah Recognises intention! MashaAllah!
ReplyDelete