Friday, September 15, 2006

'Bismillah Rahmanir Rahim' (In the Name of Allah, the Beneficient, the Merciful)

Pakistan and the Reform of Laws on Rape

Islam recognizes no one nationality and as such, it is very much discouraged for there to be any bias or ill-will from Muslims towards each other on a general level and as stated above, simply because of nationality. When I decided to write this blog, I wanted the focus to be more on religion and less on politics. However, I must make an exception and write about the soft attempts of the Pakistani government to reform laws concerning rape in their country.

Here's a good piece from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5346968.stm

The central argument is that the prosecution of rape, currently falls under religious law in Pakistan. As such, the onus is frequently on the victim to present not only witnesses but sometimes even the rapist. Therefore, sentences against rapists frequently are overturned and these people are scot-free. Musharaf is attempting something very radical - moving rape-related sentencing away from religious law and towards criminal law and the conservative parties and groups in Pakistan are having none of it. According to this article, a rape occurs in Pakistan every TWO HOURS and they say this might be an under-representation.

CNN describes the legal dichotomy in Pakistan as more tribal law versus federal law. Another terrible rape story from Pakistan:

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/south/08/04/pakistan.justice/index.html

however, there is positive news from Pakistan itself. This story, from their leading newspaper Dawn, comments on the alliance between religious groups and key lawmakers and the agreement that this new law is not only compliant with the Qu'ran and Sunnah, but will also give Pakistani women rights that many Muslim women don't have in any countries.

http://www.dawn.com/2006/09/15/top1.htm
-------------------------------------------------------

I am only one man and all I can do is ask you to pray and make dua like I am about to on this situation. This is a political situation wrapped in a religious question and although I am no scholar, it is simply un-Islamic for rape to take place and furthermore, for the rapists' convictions to be overturned by Islamic courts. What happened to the dignity of and modesty accorded to women that Muslims and Islam claim so highly based on the word of Allah (SWT)? Only Allah (SWT) can judge and the judgment on these Muslims I can only imagine will be bad. We are not supposed to judge our brethren, but we can state our opinion when an act is not in accordance with Islam and such is the case with the failure of religious groups and the failure of the Pakistani government to protect their women. In'shallah, these women - victims or not - will be rewarded in 'junnah' (paradise).

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:33 AM

    Good...you're judging Muslims by Islam and not Islam by Muslims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, What do you think about the Pope's recent remarks regarding Islam and the Muslim reaction to it?

    ReplyDelete