Monday, August 21, 2006

What I Think About Women in Islam, Jizya

OK Matt, here you go. I think the first distinction to make is between what the Qu'ran and the Hadith (sayings of the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam)) versus what Muslims actually do. i.e. The difference between the religion and culture. While many Islamic countries or Islamic groups make rules that demean women or take away their rights and dignity (like the Taliban in Afghanistan), this is not the Islamic way - it is a manifestation of Islamic extremism in specific countries.

Contrary to popular belief, I believe Islam is a very egalitarian in its treatment of men and women - both sexes are expected to maintain the same beliefs and the same ideals when it comes to accepting the word of Allah (subbana ho wa t'ala) and the belief that the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) was the last of Prophets. I have read a lot about the role of women in Islam and there are just so many issues that the non-Muslim world does not understand. For example, why do women wear 'hijab'? It is NOT because Muslim women are considered shameful and we want them to be covered up. On the contrary, women have a very special role in Islam and we must do all we can to protect their honor and their dignity. Women are asked to wear 'hijab' to protect their modesty. This is based on two ayat in the Qu'ran:

Taken from SunniPath.com

"Our understanding of hijab comes from two verses of the Qur'an. The first, in Surat al-Nur, reads, “And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss.” (Quran 24:31).
The other verse in Surat al-Ahzab says, “O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)."

---------------------------

About jizya - there is not a single true caliphate in the world today and as such, I do not believe the jizya is enforced anywhere today. However, do I think it is right? Two points. First, as a serious Muslim, I believe that the Qu'ran is the word of Allah (subbana ho wa t'ala) and as such, is at a level of erudition that mere mortals and believers like myself cannot comprehend. If Allah (subbana ho wa t'ala) said there should be a jizya, then there is some reasoning behind it and I cannot make any remark on the word of God.

Secondly, I believe that if you are willing to live in a country you must respect that country's rules, its constitution, sovereignty, etc. If you choose to live in a caliphate or a country that enforces the Shariah, then you must respect the rules of that country - even if the penalty for stealing is cutting off a hand or caning.

Thirdly, I take umbrage with your statement that the U.S. is a "Christian nation." The founders of the nation were Christian yes, but does that make this a Christian country? Are we not secular? However, suppose that this was a Christian nation and furthermore, there was a tax on non-Christians. If I chose to live here, then I would pay that tax - just as I would live by any other rules.

6 comments:

  1. Likewise, as a christian you are to submit to your governing authority.

    1 Peter 2:13
    “Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake . . . “

    Rom 13:1,3-4,6

    "Obey your leaders, and submit to them; for they keep watch over your souls, as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you"

    - Hebrews 13:17 (NASB) - Out of Context

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this similar to the problem you have with Hinduism though? Not everyone can afford to move to a different country, most people do not get to choose what country they will live in. Thus by being unfortunately born one would be discriminated against unfairly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of the Jizya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why are we even talking about the jizya? There is not a single society that enforces it today. And you are talking about "discriminated against unfairly"? What about all the Muslims in the U.S. who just by virtue of wearing a beard or possibly speaking innocuously in Arabic - or for that matter Sikhs who innocently wear turbans as part of their faith - getting discriminated against, sometimes with violence, in the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alpha, it was just a hypothetical situation, the US is not a christian country and it has laws set up so that my hypothetical situation would be almost impossible to achieve.

    And Shaam, I'm talking about governmental discrimination. As to your example of discrimination in the US. I'll ask how many people in islamic countries are discriminated against (or worse) for not being muslim?

    What I really want to ask you though is what makes Islam real to you? You've mentioned a feeling of calm while praying and that you feel that Allah is hearing your prayers. What else? Did you ever pray like this during your stint as a Christian? Expand on this, why do you believe that Islam is the one true religion?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:22 PM

    Assalamu alaikum,

    Just wanted to say mabrouk (blessings and congratulations) for entering Islam.

    Truly, this is a blessed way of life.

    I pray that your welcome to the Muslim community has been a warm one.

    I truly admire my dear brothers and sisters who have embarked on this journey. Your courage is inspiring.

    May Allah Most High accept our deeds, keep us on guidance, and enter us into the gardens of Paradise.

    ReplyDelete